Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Happy O'Canada Day

In honour of Canada Day, I got a funny phone message from my friend Dawn this afternoon. Here's what she said:

"Oh Canada. Oh Canada. (this part was sung, but not to the right tune) I don't know the rest of the words to the Canada song, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Oh Canada Day. What do you do in Canada for Oh Canada Day? Are there special foods you eat? Why do you even have it anyway?"

Now, to the majority of readers, Dawn may sound like the stereotypical American who doesn't know anything about Canada. I assure you she's not. Dawn is whip smart, quick-witted & a kindred spirit. I was fortunate enough to meet her a month after we arrived in Portland & she became seamlessly integrated into our life immediately. And even though our friendship has been relatively short compared to my other girlfriends, it feels like we've known each other forever. I could bring her to Oakville to meet everyone & she would fit in in 5 minutes. I have no doubt.

But clearly, I had to set her straight on a few Canadianisms, eh. So I called her back. Here's what I said:

"First of all, it's not the 'Canada song', it's the national anthem & it doesn't go to the tune of 'O Christmas Tree'. Secondly, it's not called 'Oh Canada Day', it's just Canada Day. Our special food is beer & we like to celebrate by drinking a 2-4, usually at someone's cottage, but a back yard will do just as nicely. There are fireworks, red & white decorations &, if Deb's involved, a Canadian flag cake with strawberries representing the maple leaf. We celebrate Canada Day to recognize when Canada became an independent country from Britain."

When I said that last one, I wasn't 100% sure the wording was right, but it sounded good. It also made me think I may need to do a little history homework regarding my homeland.

Happy Canada Day everybody!

Studiously,
PortlandGirl

p.s. Thanks to Deb & Dado for the online "Oh Canada" greeting card. It was absolutely fitting to hear the real "Canada song" after Dawn's Christmas-themed version!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home