Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Follow the Signs

It's amazing to me that when you make a decision to do something, or you're in the middle of trying to make a decision, there are lots of signs that point you in the right direction or give you the confirmation that what you're doing is ok...you just have to pay attention. I'm not saying anything earth-shattering here, nor have I come up with a new concept, but I've certainly noticed lots of signs since we've been working on our Oregon move.

Once John & I decided that Oregon was the place for us, it has made itself known through TV shows, magazine articles, various conversations...it just pops up everywhere! When we first moved down here from Toronto ('here' being Orlando), we met another PortlandGirl through friends of ours, so we've even got a friend out there already...what are the odds?! The craziness of karma makes me smile every time.

This all hit me last night while watching the second-to-last episode of "The West Wing"...a show I've loved since it first came on the air & I'm sad that it will be ending soon. It's had its ups & downs if you listen to critics, but I don't really pay attention to the more harsh reviews. To me, the show was always smart, thought-provoking, funny & a good escape for an hour. Mainly smart though...just ask John how many times I had to ask him questions during a show!

Anyway, last night, one of the characters, Will Bailey, discussed the possibility of moving to Oregon to run in one of the political races out there & it looks like he may do it...again, what are the odds?! A show that I've watched from the very beginning is ending next week (after 7 or 8 years) with one of the characters moving to Oregon a week before we move there ourselves! Isn't that cool?! Yes, I know Will Bailey isn't a real person & we can't hang out with him when we get there, but it's still nice to know that out of all the states the writers could have chosen, they picked Oregon. It made me smile.

Later,
PortlandGirl

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I find freaky is that last night I cooked with Oregano which sound like it's originally from Oregon. But I'm confused because Eye-talians are the ones who made Oregano big and I don't think there are many Eye-talians in Oregon. However now I'm thinking of telling Joanne Zigurella about all the oregano in Oregon and then maybe she can move there and start up a new First Avenue and hire you so you can help her order her O'Henry bars.

Now that I'm reading over Laura's comments I realize mine sound so juvenile... maybe that's fitting as I'm severely jetlagged at the moment. I'll try to be more dynamic in a couple of days.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home