Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Some Things Never Change

I watched an episode of "Sesame Street" today while hanging out with my friends James & Elizabeth. I'm happy to say that Cookie Monster never fails to makes me smile & I still know all the words to "Doin' the Pigeon". (Insert your own Bert & Ernie gay joke here. I'm not going to do it for you - I'm one of the few people who will forever believe they were just innocent boy roommates.)

I've heard my mum say that I used to watch "Sesame Street" six times a day when I was little. I think this figure may be a tad exaggerated, but if Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird and Kermit are one of the reasons I've carried on a life-long love affair with reading, words, language and writing, I don't care if I watched it 100 times a day! Of course, it may also be where I developed a life-long love affair with chocolate-chip cookies.

I'm sure I learned many important life lessons from a bunch of Muppets. And I know I'm not the only one. Millions of kids and their parents can thank Jim Henson & the Muppets for making education fun & funny at the same time. Next month will mark the 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street. It continues to be a special show that teaches special things...like how to be a good & decent person, how to be tolerant of others & how to ask where the library is in Spanish (or in French if you live in Canada). Apparently, it's also the fountain of youth for the humans who live there because Maria still looks exactly the same!

This post was brought to you by the letter Z and the number 12.

Sunny days,
PortlandGirl

4 Comments:

Blogger Debbie Brumell said...

Oh thank you, thank you! First of all,I am so happy to see you back as I have missed your blogs filled with tremendous insight and humour. AND, aawww, Sesame Street! How many times have I praised the Children's TV Network for bringing that most wonderful show into our lives? Intersting that their 40th Anniversary coincides with the birthday of my first child; the guy who needed it most! It was a Godsend for so many reasons, so many children and remains that way today for the next generation.
I thought Burt & Ernie were brothers....wasn't their last name Shimapolous?

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Heidi K said...

I'm glad you're back too Missy!! I love your writing! And I thought Ernie and Bert were brothers too!!!

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Marnie said...

In honour of this recent blog post, I am reenacting the Doin' the Pigeon dance that Bert used to do. Yes, Bert had legs but they only showed them when he did the dance. I loved his Saddle shoes.

"12 Banana Cream Pies!!!!" Cue baker falling down the stairs.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Didi, Peter, Tigger and Kitty said...

Hey Lovey! Still looking for pictures of your new home. So happy you love it! We all send our hugs from the Tombigbee River.... and I thought they were just best friends who got to spent the night at each others house all the time!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home