Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

I'll have a grande Emotional Frappuccino

Every day we get closer to our actual departure date, the question, "So, are you excited about your move?" gets asked more & more. While it seems like an easy enough question to answer (that would be "Yes"), I don't think 'excited' is the right word.

Here's a closer approximation to how I've been feeling lately....
1) take four parts positive emotion - joy, excitement, happiness, anticipation
2) add two parts apprehensive emotion - fear, anxiety
3) sprinkle in a dash of craziness - are we REALLY going to drive a moving truck across the entire U.S.?
4) put them all in a blender & puree for two minutes

The resulting mixture is a combination of feelings about everything that could possibly go right & everything that could possibly go wrong. Most of the time, my mind automatically stays on the positives, but every once in a while, I have a little freak-out session, full of "what ifs", "oh my god, it's far away" & "who am I going to play with?". I'd say it's a 90/10 split.

I think this kind of last-minute, second-guessing HAS to be normal. I mean, is there anyone out there who can make a big decision, such as moving to a new place, switching careers, buying a house or having kids, without even a drop of self-doubt over whether it's the right decision? Even when you know in your heart-of-hearts that it IS the right decision, there's still that smidgen of wanting to stay in your own comfortable little world without rocking the boat too much. At the same time, rocking the boat is precisely what makes it all so exciting! Trying new things is good. Being brave is fun. And it's good to shake things up every once in a while.

Later,
PortlandGirl

p.s. I just noticed that I've received my first comments! I feel so special! Laura & Steffan...thanks for your words...you rock!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an EXCELLENT piece; very thought provolking. If I lived in Oregon, I would like to be your friend!
God Speed you in your travels.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home