Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

An Ode to Father's Day

Today is Father's Day & my dad deserves an extra special message b/c he's an extra special dude.

I always have a hard time finding a Father's Day card for him b/c he just doesn't fit into any of the usual "dad stereotypes" that are depicted in cards. He's not 'standing behind the grill with a pair of tongs in his hand' dad. He's not 'Tim the Tool Man Taylor' idiot dad & he's definitely not 'sit on the couch in front of the TV watching sports all day' dad. He's Dado (for those of you who haven't been honored by his presence, that's pronounced "Day-doh"...rhymes with Playdoh). The cutest little man in the whole world.

There's something about Dado that defies description. He's just cool & always has been. There isn't a dishonest or fake bone in his body. He is the true embodiment of the word kind. He's totally hilarious, but low-key at the same time. He's constantly behind the scenes, supporting everything his kids do & he has the utmost faith in the universe that things will just work out. He has lots of friends of all ages. He's very smart; he used to help me with my math homework & not just in grade school...he could do the hard, high school crap! He can play the piano & he's never had a lesson in his life. He rocks the tap dance floor. He loves fire trucks, jazz & Tony Bennett. Basically, he just rules.

"Leave some for the next guy" is one of Dado's oft-heard sayings & I think it's a perfect example of who he is & what he stands for. I shall adopt it as my very own Dado philosophy. He really is the genuine article & I'm so grateful to have part of his personality in my genes.

So, here's to you Dado! I'm raising my shooter glass (complete with lid) in a Father's Day toast: To the best maker of hot dog & chocolate milk lunches there ever was & ever will be!

Keep juicing! I love you.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home