Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Breakfast Club

I'm up early today b/c I have another meeting (yes, another one!) about my dream job this afternoon. I couldn't get back to sleep after John's alarm went off so I just decided to get up. After a few sun salutations, I made a cup of coffee & thought about what I wanted for breakfast. I like breakfast. I think it's a good meal & is altogether overlooked. Although to be fair, I think if more people had the time to sit down & enjoy a leisurely morning meal, the concept of breakfast would get a bump in the polls.

Since I currently enjoy the luxury of being able to enjoy a nice breakfast each morning, I take full advantage. I didn't need to think long about what I wanted to eat today b/c it's the same thing I've had for breakfast for the past three days. I can't stop making it! I think I need to call a hotline soon.

Normally, I'm a toast or cereal girl with the occasional yogurt w/berries & granola thrown in for good measure. Eggs are usually left until the weekend & are frequently poached. However, this weekend, I heard the call of the oatmeal canister from way back in the cupboard & felt compelled to answer. Now to me, winter seems to be the more appropriate season for a cozy bowl of oatmeal, but on Saturday, it just seemed like the right thing to do. Ya. I said it. I just paraphrased Wilford Brimley from the Quaker Oaks commercial. I'm shameless like that.

I didn't want just a plain, old bowl of oatmeal so I decided to amalgamate an existing recipe with a few ideas of my own & a smidgeon of nostalgia from the flavored oatmeal packets of childhood. A hybrid if you will. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out & I'd like to share it with you. If you have a soft-spot for Maple & Brown Sugar oatmeal, or if you've just got a hankering for some comfort food, go into your kitchen & make this immediately! You'll love it!

MAPLE & BROWN SUGAR HYBRID OATMEAL:
(SERVES ONE & GETS GREAT MILEAGE)

Bring one cup of milk, a healthy dash of cinnamon & a few drops of vanilla extract to a boil in a small pot (preferably non-stick). Keep a close eye on it b/c the milk boils over very quickly once it gets going. If it gets crazy on you, just remove the pot from the direct heat & it will calm down. Don't worry. This is why you used a non-stick pot.

Add one-half cup of rolled oats (I have the quick-cooking kind, but you could use regular too), stir & turn down the heat to medium low (do this as simultaneously as possible). Continue stirring until cooked (either 1 minute or about 5, depending on your style of oat).

Add another quarter cup of milk & stir into oatmeal. Remove from heat.

Place oatmeal in a bowl & add a little pat of butter on top (I know it sounds weird but it's totally worth it!). Then, drizzle with REAL maple syrup (Mrs. Butterworth or Aunt Jemima won't cut it in this recipe...you need to use the good stuff) & sprinkle with brown sugar.

Take your bowl to wherever you'll enjoy eating it most & have a great start (or finish) to your day!

The best thing about this recipe is, if you use the quick-cooking kind of oats, it takes about two minutes to make. About the same as a piece of toast. And doesn't everybody have time for that?

Happy cooking,
PortlandGirl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home