Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Yankee Doodle Mandy

I don't actually go by "Mandy". It just worked nicely for the title, so I went with it.

Today is Independence Day & although I wasn't born in the States, both my mum & John were, so I feel a certain kinship here. It's nice to feel at home in more than one country. While growing up, we spent quite a few July 4th's (or should that be written as 1/4's? Like a fraction?) in the States. One of them was in 1976, the bicentennial, which also happened to be my sister's christening. Well, I guess it didn't just happen that way...clearly it was planned to coincide. Anyway, I didn't know anything about the bicentennial, since I was only 4 years old at the time, but we all wore red, white & blue clothes, rang the bells in the church & got to eat huge pieces of cake (of course I remember the cake part).

I also remember parading around in a pair of pink, plastic, high-heel, flip-flops with marabou pouffs at the front. I found them in the children's play area of the church & they were just my size. I loved them & wanted to keep them, but I guess stealing from the church would have been wrong. They also didn't really go with my red & white, Laura Ingalls prairie dress (complete with bonnet), made by my mum. It even had one of those labels sewn into it..."Made with love by mom". She also made me a yellow, Laura Ingalls sleeping cap & I wore it every night. I wanted to be Laura Ingalls & have someone call me half-pint. Yes, I know I'm inviting shame & ridicule on myself by admitting these things, but when you're little, you don't care about being cool. You just like what you like. And that's what I liked.

I remember another 4th of July we spent in Vermont. There was a carnival-type thing in town with rides & we got to be in the parade. We rode on a fire truck, which must have pleased Dado to no end since he loves firetrucks so much he might want to be one. I ate a lot of fruit salad that day b/c we stayed with my mum's aunt, who was a caterer & her fruit salad was awesome! It was all piled into a watermelon that had been hollowed out & cut all zig-zaggy into the shape of a basket.

Why is it that what stands out most in my mind are the things I've eaten on the 4th of July?! Maybe it's b/c for our family, like countless others, food is a big part of the celebration of any holiday. My favorite time at Thanksgiving & Christmas is when we all get to sit down at the table & enjoy dinner together. Even when Jody does his patented "mashed potato tongue" (which, for those of you who haven't witnessed the blessed event, is when my brother takes a huge bite of mashed potatoes, then forces it back through his mouth, fully formed, so it comes out looking like a white tongue). It's gross, but it's become tradition. And that's what makes any holiday extra special...repeating past traditions, starting new ones & doing the things that make you feel at home.

So, in order to tie together this all-over-the-place post, here's a random list of what springs to mind when I think of the 4th of July...fireworks, hot dogs, ice cream, sparklers, Keith Lockhart & the Boston Pops playing the 1812 Overture (which is funny since that piece of music was composed by a Russian to commemorate the unsuccessful French invasion into Russia), red white & blue bunting, picnics, parades & smiles.

Today, I ate a hot dog, witnessed some parades, saw lots of red, white & blue, had an ice cream cone, watched the Boston Pops on TV & lit a sparkler off of our balcony (which we weren't supposed to do, but we did it anyway b/c it had to be done). And that's what made a Happy 4th of July for me.

Sparkles & fizzes to all!
PortlandGirl

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yankee Doodle Mandy! There's a blast from the past! You DID go by "Mandy" for your first couple of years of life until Dado started calling you "Little Missy Mandy" and the "Missy" part stuck. But what wonderful memories of the 4th of July! I remember them all and still never miss Keith Lockhart, the 1812 Overture, the canons and fireworks. And red, white and blue everything from flags to decorations to napkins to sparklers to cakes or cupcakes with lots of red, white & blue sprinkles. You have moved to a country with the greatest patriotism of all. "Oh Canada" is very wonderful but may The Star Spangled Banner give you a lump in your throat forever as it does me. xoxoxo Mum

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home