Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

I'm Wearing a Turtleneck!

It's Sunday evening & there's a slight chill in the air. I can feel a breeze coming in through the window, but I'm not cold b/c I've got my hands wrapped around a mug of steaming tea. Well, technically, I had to put down my tea to type, but my fingers remain warm. This is the weather I've been waiting for! The kind where all you want to do is snuggle underneath a blanket on the couch while watching movies all day. The kind where you get the urge to make big batches of soup. The kind where you pull out your sweaters & fuzzy socks.

We've had constant summer for the past 4 years. That's what happens when you live in Florida. Now, initially, this sounds like it might be a nice idea...it did to me before we moved down there. But in reality (my reality anyway), being hot all the time sucks. The weather became too much of a good thing & too much of anything (even chocolate!) becomes a bad thing. I've since realized that in Florida, I really missed seeing summer turn into fall & winter into spring. I DIDN'T miss cold winters, slush & snow, but I did often wish for that feeling of coziness you get when you're tucked away in your house b/c it's too harsh to go outside.

I was thinking the other day that our move to Portland feels like we've come home & it just dawned on me that the reason for this is largely b/c of the trees & the weather. It feels very much like Oakville. It's like we've come full circle, but the circle ends in a new place. Does that even make sense?! How can a full circle end somewhere else? I guess what I'm trying to say is that Portland reminds me of growing up & that's a good thing. Portland seems to have come with a built-in familiarity that I wasn't expecting, but I am so happy to have found it!

And speaking of familiarity, we have now had our first guest & she came in the form of Meredith! She arrived on Thursday afternoon & left on Saturday morning, so it was a quick visit, but it was fantastic to see her. Thanks for making the trip Merd! Love you!

Must run & get some dinner. Will try to post again sooner rather than later.
xoxoxoxoxo
PortlandGirl

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missy ~ I've been meaning to send you a wee note of congratulations ~ actually GETTING the excellent job! It absolutely proves the power of positive energy...not to mention perhaps some talent I'm thinking.

Your blog makes for inspiring reading and I've been enjoying it since your mom brought the hard copy to the cottage in August. Don't get too busy to keep at it! There would be alot of disappointed readers out there.

Chapin's new cottage looks absolutely fabulous. You'll have to make a trek to G'Bay next summer to check it out. We'd love to have you anytime too!

Take care and hi from Keebus too,

Vicki

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home