Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Where Have All the Hours Gone?

There are so many work-related stories & things I'd love to tell you, but I promised myself this wouldn't become a forum for that, so I'll have to keep them to myself. Although, they do come out when I'm on the phone, so the next time we talk voice-to-voice, I'd love to tell you a few things. My job is definitely good for comedic material!

Over the past month, I've come to understand the feeling of "not enough hours in the day". I used to think it was a strange saying b/c we all start with the same amount of time each day; no one is allotted an extra half-hour or given a magical 25th hour...although some people manage to fit so much into their day that it might seem like they are. However, at the moment, I am not one of those people. Because right now, at 7:26 p.m., I've only been home for about 1/2 an hour, there are approximately 10 more things I'd like to do today & there are about 4 things I HAVE to do (such as showering & having dinner) before I can even get to the 10 I'd LIKE to do.

Now I don't mean for that to sound like a negative thing b/c that's not how I see it. Instead, I'm choosing to take it on as a challenge to myself. I know it's going to take some time to adjust to my new schedule & it will be a while after that before I can turn my personal goals into habits (quick useless trivia - it takes 21 days to make a habit stick), but I'll keep at it.

Writing on a more regular basis is definitely something that's high on my list of "to-aim-for" accomplishments. I don't feel guilty for not having written much lately, but I do feel sorry that I haven't been able to get to it more often. Each night I really want to, but by 9:30, I'm usually feeling pretty sleepy & always fall into "I'll do it tomorrow" mode. So to anyone out there who is reading this & has been wishing I would post a few more entries each week, I totally understand how you feel! I'VE been wishing the same thing & it's something I'm going to work on. Because I really do enjoy the time I spend sitting at the computer, writing a few things about my day or about the thoughts that are in my head.

I'm getting that sleepy feeling, so I'm going to wind it down. And tonight, when I put my head on the pillow & close my eyes, I'll have a smile on my face b/c I managed to fit in one more thing today than I did yesterday & that one thing was this posting.

Sweet dreams,
PortlandGirl

p.s. I'd like to take this last second to thank a very special reader of this blog. My Grandad has been sending me "fan mail" since I started writing in May & I just wanted to let him know that I love going to the mailbox each day just as much as he does & when I get to bring home one of his handwritten letters, it totally makes my day. I love you Ralph & Grandad. xoxoxoxoxox

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to check in and wish everyone a fantastic Thanksgiving Weekend. I imagine you had turkey yesterday. I was thinking about you.

Love to all,

Mer (Marion NOT Meredith)

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home