Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ancient Chinese Secret

Remember a few months ago, when I was complaining about the fluke (even though it happened 3 times) heatwave in Portland and how we had to come up with new & interesting ways to keep cool b/c we don't have air-conditioning?

Well, now I'm here to give you a hint about how to warm up quickly when you're cold. Because fall is alive & well in Portland! And along with colorful leaves, foggy mornings and a touch of smoke smell in the air, fall brings chilly nights...those nights where you just need to snuggle down under the covers while an open window lets in a constant, crisp breeze.

I think I've done pretty well in making the transition from Orlando's tropical conditions to Portland's more seasonal atmosphere (actually, today is the first day it's rained all day since we moved here). But every once in a while, usually when I'm sitting at the computer, my thinned-out Florida blood kicks in & I start to get chilly. But by the time I actually do something about it (like put on my pink Gap booties or fuzzy socks), I know it's going to take a while for me to warm up.

However, the other day, I figured out a great way to get instant relief! As I was pulling a load of laundry out of the dryer, I hugged some of the clothes to my chest b/c they were so warm and comforting. They smelled good too! The clothes felt like a hug & I wondered how I could hold on to that feeling. Short of riding around in the dryer like we used to do when we were kids (Holly Brown holds the all-time record for going around 40 times), I wondered if it was possible.

Suddenly, it occurred to me. I knew what I had to do. I pulled the entire load of laundry out into the living room, I lay down on the floor & I put the clothes on top of me so that they covered my entire body. I was a jumble of shirts, jeans, pants, socks & towels with just my head sticking out. And I was completely warm! It was nice to just stay there, in my human laundry pile, & enjoy the relaxing after-effects of such warmth. Of course, the relaxing parts were interspersed with a lot of giggling b/c I felt like a little kid & it just made me laugh. And I think that feeling like a little kid is something we all need to get in touch with every once in a while...just so we don't forget.

So, the next time you're shivering, or you can't stop your teeth from chattering b/c you're so cold, remember this simple process: warm up a load of clothing in the dryer, pull out the contents, lie on the floor & become part of them. Then, laugh your head off, make some hot chocolate & eat a few graham crackers...just like kindergarten.

Warmly,
PortlandGirl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home