Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Eight isn't Enough

The number 8 isn't a big one when it comes to numbers. It isn't used that often in pricing (how many items in a store do you see for $1.88?). It doesn't get recognized like 16 and 21 do as a commemorative birthday. It's not even in the land of double digits (Marnie wrote "Welcome to the land of double digits" on my birthday card when I turned 10 & I thought it was the funniest thing ever). But when you tack on the word "years" after the number 8, you get "8 years" & THAT seems like a big number...8 years is a long time.

Think back to what you were doing 8 years ago (for those of you with the understanding there would be no math, that would be 1998). Can you remember?

I can. Because 8 years ago today, I met John.

October 3, 1998. I always describe that time as "feeling like yesterday, but feeling like a long time ago all at the same time". Very similar to the description you give when telling someone about your dream last night..."We were in your house, but it wasn't your house."

It's unbelieveable to me that we've only known each other for 8 years b/c it's hard to think of a time when I didn't know him. At the same time, the fact that we HAVE known each other for 8 years is insane! How could that time have gone by so quickly? I can't quite wrap my head around it.

And so, in honor of our "We've Known Each Other for 8 Years Anniversary", I'm going to go hang out on the couch with my husband. Because since going back to work, I haven't been able to spend much time with him & he's been totally supportive & understanding.

A few other things of note that were happening 8 years ago today...

Jay & Chris were getting married - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU GUYS!
Whit & Nick were getting married - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU GUYS TOO!
Les was having a birthday (much like she is today) - HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOGI HUNTER!
Laura Donnelly & I were unveiling our new dance number, "Wipe Out & Act Natural", at Jay & Chris' wedding.

What a great day!
PortlandGirl

This posting was brought to you by the letter "M" & , of course, by the number 8.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea where you were going with that posting until I was reminded of the date! WOW! Eight years! That would mean 8 years less one day that John Cameron has been in our lives! It does seem like yesterday! I think you said with a big smile on your face: "I've met a boy!" All I can say is wait until you've been married for 39 years and it still seems like yesterday! Even if your writing has slowed down due to major work in the field, don't stop because we are all enjoying your views so much! Thank you! xoxox

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home