Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Snow Day!

Quick question: What's better than calling in sick when you're not really sick?

Answer: Having your boss call you in the morning to tell you NOT to go into work today!

Yes, we have witnessed our first "real" snowstorm in Oregon. It snowed from Portland down to Salem very early this morning and since the roads were already a mess by 7:00 a.m., I was instructed to stay home. Nice! After getting the call to stay off the roads, I immediately looked out the window & saw an entire world of white that wasn't there the night before. It was beautiful! I can't remember the last time I saw so much snow, but it sure was nice to see it again. I'll take a snow day in Portland over a hurricane day in Orlando anytime!

Hearing the words "snow day" as an adult is just as sweet as hearing them as a kid. I was so excited! All of a sudden, John & I had an entire, unplanned, free day ahead of us. What a luxury! How to spend it? What to do, what to do?

Here's a list of a few things I did & a few things I didn't do...guess which ones are true:

1) walked in the snow with my tongue sticking out to catch flakes as they fell
2) made a snow angel
3) chucked a snowball at one of my neighbors
4) ate a handfull of snow
5) drank hot chocolate while bundled up on the couch
6) watched movies all afternoon

As much as I wanted to make a snow angel, I just didn't feel like lying down in the snow & freezing my butt off, so I didn't actually do that one. And I didn't throw a snowball at one of my neighbors (although there's one who needs it). But I got to do the other things & I felt just like a kid on a snow day...except I wasn't wearing snowpants.

Let it snow,
PortlandGirl

p.s. did anyone see Reese Witherspoon's SHOES at the Golden Globes last night?! They rocked! Loved them with a capital "L"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home