Getting Oregonized

Random thoughts & observations before, during & after a cross-country move to Portland, Oregon in June 2006.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

50 First Dates

I completed 'phase II' of my interview this morning & it was so much fun! I think it went very well & now I'm waiting for the next installment of "Mission Impossible" tasks I'm supposed to complete. This is the most thorough process I've ever had to go through to get a job. I'm starting to feel like it IS my job. I don't mind though b/c this is what I want & I'm willing to jump through a few more hoops to get it.

I have a theory about interviews in general...they're very similar to first dates (for girls at least). You spend a lot of time getting ready - selecting the best outfit (& making sure it's not one they've seen before), showering, doing your hair & make-up, wearing clean underwear; you think about possible topics of conversation; you have persistent butterflies in your stomach; you present the best version of yourself you can & leave out the not-so-great details until well into the relationship; you wonder if you've got spinach in your teeth; you're adverse to hearing about any previous prospects for the position (they're probably bi-atches anyway). Then, once it's over, you replay every minute detail in your head, trying to figure out if/where you screwed up or if you'll get asked out again.

Of course, there are a few differences. Does it really matter if you shave your legs for an interview if you're wearing pants? If the interviewer needs to know that, I'm not sure that's where you want to work. And, interviews don't normally end with the possibility of a good bye kiss (unless you're Rachel from "Friends" & it's just a big misunderstanding).

It's hard to know someone strictly from a first date. You can get an idea of their personality & whether or not they're likeable to you, but in order to get a better overall picture of the person, you need to go out a few times. Try different activities. Spend some time together. How many people get married after only one date (aside from anyone drunk & in Vegas...is that redundant?) & are able to make it work? Very few I'd say.

I guess the same is true of the interview/hiring process. I used to wonder why companies would take so long to make a decision. Why it would take two or three or four return visits to the office for repeated screenings when all you want to say to them is, "Would you just hire me already?!". But now, it all makes sense. They're dating you. They're getting to know you. They're finding out if you're a good person to get into a long-lasting relationship with & sometimes that takes a few more dates for them than it does for you.

So now I'm just waiting for the call to find out when my next date will be. At least I know the call will be coming rather than the poor girl who's waiting by the phone b/c her date said "I'll call" when really, he meant "I have no intention of seeing you again".

I just hope I don't get dumped after four dates.

Happy dinner & a movie,
PortlandGirl

p.s. a special shout-out to Marn for providing a list of her favorite things (in the comment section) which was so much fun to read. Thanks Marn...you rock!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home